I am a very lucky man – I’ve got an amazing wife and am the father to three wonderful kids. Lylli was born on Halloween in 2008, Gracie was born November 2010 and although she only lived for 17 months, she will remain as much a part of this family as the rest of us, and Mickey Gray, our first son, was born in June of 2012. I’m not going to say that life has gone exactly as I would have wanted, but it is a good life and I am determined to make the best of it.

This blog is an attempt to document my quest to become a dad that my family can be proud of.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Where do the weekends go?

Another one just flew by before I knew it. 
Thursday evening Pappy and Grammy swung over with some Chinese food for a visit with the girls. 
Friday evening we enjoyed some wonderful beef stroganoff that was dropped off via the meal train – We followed up dinner with a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the night– it was wonderful!
Saturday morning, Carrie and Gracie stayed home while Lylli and I had a little daddy/daughter date – Based on her recent obsession with any sort of children’s programming on TV, we felt that she would enjoy a movie in the theater, so we went up to the local complex and took in the 9:55 AM showing of the new Disney Movie “Tangled” – it was a cute movie – I must admit, I found myself bored a few times (it’s no Rocky) , but it was so much fun to watch her take it all in.  Her eyes got huge the moment she saw that giant screen.  We had some popcorn and an ICEE, some fruit snacks and the chocolate covered raisins that were supposed to be brought home for mom were especially enticing to Lylli – I think I literally had about three of them (the ones she fed me) and we managed to bring mom home, no kidding, about a dozen of them.  Yep – Lyl Loves chocolate covered raisins just like her mom!  She discovered them for the first time that day.  The theater was dark and I wiped her face up a little during the movie when I saw a little smudge of something under her nose – we walked out of the dark theater, I apparently didn’t look at her very closely at all as we made our way through the lobby and into the truck.  It wasn’t until after the very short drive home that we noticed that it looked like she was trying to reenact a scene in her new favorite movie – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – she’s infatuated with the little boy that falls into the chocolate river – in our house he is affectionately referred to as “The Chocolate Man”  -- it was unbelievable how much chocolate she actually had smeared all over her hair, eyebrows, face and clothes – The amount of chocolate in her ear was so bad that Carrie started questioning if she had an earache and was digging in her ears – there’s really no other way to explain how her ear was so full of chocolate.  I now know why the only other dad in the theater was looking at us funny as we were exiting the place.  OK, so I brought her home a mess, but I did successfully manage to keep a two year old relatively quiet throughout a whole movie as well as a mid-movie pull-up change in the men’s room.  I’ll admit, there are some of these parenting things that I’m better at than others.  Around 1 – Grandma Nita stopped by to see the girls.  She had been sick over the holidays and it had been awhile since she had seen any of us – we did the math and realized that she hadn’t seen Gracie since she had been off the ventilator in the NICU (best guess is her baptism).   We are happy, that as hard as it was to not see them, that she waited until she was no longer sick to visit the girls.  The rest of Saturday was pretty uneventful.  We enjoyed some delicious white chicken chili from the meal train for dinner.  Carrie and I decided to live a little on the wild side, made some coffee with some baileys in it,  and stayed up late enough to watch a little SNL with Jim Carrey – but of course both of us fell asleep before it ended.
Sunday, A very pregnant Auntie Dawn swung by in the morning for a visit with the girls and to give all of us haircuts – OK, all of us that needed them – As much as Lylli wanted Gracie to get a haircut like hers, it just didn’t make much sense since she’s only seven weeks old (today as a matter of fact) and pretty bald.  Lylli brought a cold home from Daycare and was a little on the cranky side for a good part of the weekend.  After visiting with Dawn for a bit, Lylli jumped right into bed when Carrie suggested that she may want to take an early nap.  I drove out to my mom’s place to help my stepdad load a broken down snow blower into his truck.  When I was there, I went inside to see Milo – he is such a sweet dog – after visiting for a few minutes and giving him some love, despite Milo’s desire and  attempt to come with me, I left alone and drove to Menards to roam the aisles in an attempt to design a gate system for the “dog room” downstairs that will contain him when he comes back home next weekend.  While at Menards, I checked out the shower levers, etc – after looking them over for a bit (and their prices) – I decided that I could jerry rig the one we’ve got that broke -- I know, famous last words – but really, I managed a pretty acceptable temporary fix by drilling a hole and putting in a small screw to hold it on – it really doesn’t look too bad and should work for awhile until we have the time to swap all of the shower hardware out.  I have been thinking about Milo a lot lately and he has to come home – he’s old and he’s my dog – and we’re his family.  He has lived in the same house since he was 8 weeks old.  He really is such a great dog who spent his whole life with Buck until he died this last year – In all actuality, Milo probably felt his loss more than we did.  I can’t blame him for having some issues now.  I had even gotten to a point where I was starting to be a little more at ease with the thought of Milo coming home, that is until I called Henry to go outside before bed last night and he ran by Gracie and almost ripped the feeding tube out of her stomach – luckily Carrie had made a loop and coiled it in her hand while she was holding her just in case something like that happened. 
Late Sunday afternoon, Carrie’s family came over.  They brought dinner  and hung out for a bit to visit (I’m trying to figure how many meals we actually have had to make for ourselves lately?  Our network of support is so great --  we promise to pay it forward).  Sounds like they made plans to do a dinner every 2nd Sunday of the month – and coming from the guy who is always looking for a new tradition, I’m all for it.     
Eventually I found myself in the same spot I’m in every Sunday night – forcing myself to go to bed and dreading my week of work ahead.  I hope someday that I can find myself making a living doing something I love. 
All in all, I did OK with my diet over the weekend – nothing too drastic - I tried to eat smaller portions than I normally would.  But I do admit that I wasn’t as active as I should have been.  This week my activity level is changing.  Tonight I start the Couch potato to 5K program – for the next 9 weeks, I am going to head out 3 times a week to run and eventually ramp up to a 5K.  That gets me to  early March where I may try and enter one of the many local St Patrick Day 5K runs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment